Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Contact Sport



Many have criticized the cycling industry for marketing road cycling as a kind of "extreme sport". I can see many types of Mountain biking easily fitting into this label, even Cyclocross. Shit that is generally a hazard to your well being! Until recently I would have countered the notion of road cycling as an extreme sport, but I now realize, the cycling industry has it all wrong.

So extreme!

  The real extreme part of road cycling is urban cycling, which includes commuting. Aside from the occasional jostle, bumps, and the most unfortunate crashes, road cycling isn't as "extreme" as many X-game sports (and is rightly excluded). I always seem to unconsciously put far more intense music into my "Almost Hit Series"(videos showing my commuting in the streets) than my "Shut Up Legs Series" (videos of my group rides). The tamest urban cycling video I have is "Filters", but to be fair, it is a very sanitized video of my commute, showing the good times.

More like the fun times!

  So why is this? The simple answer is urban cycling produces some hairy situations because of all the variables thrown into the soup that is driving in Miami. Road cycling, in a group though, not so much, it is far more controlled, and there is a certain etiquette to maintain. What this means is, the music I select is more reflective of the video's feel. So sure the videos may be more entertaining, but every bad encounter with a driver may put my life at risk. It is a delicate tightrope I maintain between riding on the dangerous main streets ( which get me from A to B faster) and sticking to the side streets ( usually tacking on 15 to 20 minutes to my commute). I try to make these videos as a kind of awareness, keeping it interesting to viewers, but I fear it comes off as pursuant. We all love some dramatic encounters with others of our species...

Hardly....


As safe as I try to ride, it seems (regardless of my intentions) that bad drivers also seem to be the angriest ones, hell bent on raging if you try to confront them. I am not even sure if this is reaching a wide enough audience, and by the statements of MDPD's Chief, they seem to have more disdain than care for cyclist. I do not expect help and certainly not enforcement from them. 

It's not easy being a cyclist

There is no redemption out on these streets. Even with a camera and reports filed, there's no punishment for these drivers. I can just hope their License plates being broadcast for the world can give me some solace. In order of appearance, FCH-043, BRG-P58, BCT-Y28, ICW-562, and X50-4GG, if you see them, give them the only finger that matters, for me.


Come get some...






2 comments: