Sunday, November 30, 2014

Everyday Grind



  There is something about breaking a spoke on a ride that brings an interesting mix of horror, shame, and confusion. It's a simple thing that makes sense to break but it's a cost to fix unless you have the right tools. No novice or new cyclist has these damned tools. You aren't going to get that spoke fixed unless it broke on the right side or on part of the wheel that isn't near your cassette.

The hell is going on with this thing?

  It seems as if I am always at Cycleworld. I was even asked if I wanted a campfire; I just needed to know who I should pay rent to. This made me take a hard look into my finances and, as much as I enjoy supporting my local bike shop, I am just an art teacher, not actually a profession one gets rich whilst doing. So, with a can-do attitude, I purchased my own chain whip and cassette wrench to assist in further spoke problems...

Maybe I should invest in a motorized vehicle, and give little fucks about lights?

   Sure enough, a week later I utilized my tools when not one, not two, but three spokes needed to get replaced; two in the back and one in the front. The look on the mechanic's face when I came in for more spokes...Well, it was the same look of disbelief that I was sporting. 

Dammit Phil, this wheel set is costing more than it is saving...

   I figured it out soon enough to get my baby up and running for the next day's group ride. The process was a bit of an experience to get everything working; so much so that I left it to the professionals at Cycleworld Miami to double check that the wheels were good to go. 

Looking back, I really should stay off the sidewalk....

Thanks again to Cycleworld Miami and to all the mechanics that took time out of a very busy day assisting triathletes to tend to my wheels! If you like this or any of the other posts, don't forget to follow, like, or even comment! Look forward to a couple of group rides down the pipe and an "Almost Hit" highlight. This one is very dodgy, too! Until next time!

Coming soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment